Menu
 Side menu

Formalities regarding the redevelopment of the seafront promenade in Palma move forward

You are here

Palma, 08/08/2018

The Port Authority of the Balearic Islands (APB) has put out to tender a contract for the drafting of the Construction and Works Management Project for the redevelopment of the seafront promenade in Palma. The tender amount is 550,280 euros plus VAT and the deadline for tenders is 14 September. Those interested can submit their tenders via the APB's Electronic Tender Portal. 

The stretch to redevelop comprises the area between Avenida Argentina and Porto Pí, up to the roundabout connecting Avenida de Joan Miró. Once the contract has been awarded, the APB will launch a new process for the execution of the works. This new tender process is expected to commence in the first quarter of 2019 so that the works can start in the autumn.

The project entails all the guidelines established by the Council of Palma, which includes improving access to the seafront promenade for nearby neighbourhoods and that of Bellver, as well as improving the transversal patency between the port and the city.

The specifications, for guidance purposes, set out certain suggestions of the Council of Palma regarding the redistribution of surface areas and uses, which are based on changing the current proportions of 50% allocated to vehicles and 50% to green spaces and cycling and pedestrian areas. The new proportions proposed by the Council point to a surface area of 75% allocated to green spaces and to pedestrian, cycling and outdoor seating areas, and the remaining 25% to vehicles on a single surface road.

With regard to the individual traffic lanes, and in order achieve the suggested surface area percentages, reducing the 3 one-directional lanes to 2 has been proposed, adjusting their width and reducing the number of parking spaces on them.  In this regard, a mobility study has been conducted using real-time simulations to ensure the viability of reducing the traffic lanes. The study concluded that such reduction is viable and no traffic congestion was seen.

Furthermore, the final project will consider reducing the traffic speed to less than 50 km/h, giving greater priority to the cycle lane along the seafront and commencing the improvement works on the pavement surfaces, facilitating end-to-end journeys for bikes in harmony with outdoor seating, vegetation, benches and car parks, as well as other aspects geared towards "humanising" and "oxygenating" this emblematic area of Palma, a feature of its maritime façade.

 
 

Latest news


  •  
  • Page 1 of 129

Social networks


Contact form


  • To make a complaint or a suggestion, or request information, follow this link

Forthcoming events


No hay eventos próximamente

Login


Enter your Ports de Balears username.