The Balearic Islands Port Authority (APB) has new vehicle scales in the port of Palma.
The Port Authority of the Balearic Islands (APB) has completed the restoration work on the roof of the Alcanada lighthouse in Alcudia. The renovation consisted of rebuilding the roof's support structure which, due to its poor condition, was discharging all its weight on the perimeter walls, and the installation of new roof tiles. In addition, the façade was painted, the interiors were rendered and joinery items were replaced.
The work, which lasted two and a half months, was tendered to the company Vip Property Integral Services.
The Alcanada lighthouse was officially opened on 15 May 1861. It was designed by Emili Pou and was established as a sixth order lighthouse, with a catadioptric optical system and fixed light.
Its technology has been continuously updated and modernised. In 1960, the lamp was removed and another non-visitable one was put in its place. This meant the light was now activated automatically by means of a solar valve and was the reason why the resident lightkeeper left the facility in 1961. Its light characteristics then changed to regular white flashes. Subsequently, in the 1990s, solar panels were installed which enabled the use of gas apparatus to be removed.
As in many other lighthouses, the Alcanada lighthouse keepers have taken an active role in helping the victims of several shipwrecks throughout history.